"Mama Called the Doctor! and the Doctor Said...."

     Imaginary doctor play welcomed our daycare this month.  Cade and Alexandra started playing doctor in the beginning of the month.  They asked me to bandage their imaginary wounds with scarves.  I heard throughout the house “I’m sick, I need to go o the doctor”. I thought it was appropriate for our theme this month about caring for others.  With this I elaborated on the imaginary play by providing bandaids, stethoscope, tweezers, and  tissues.  The children had fun listening to their hearts beating through Fred’s stethoscope.  They worked hard trying to unwrap the bandaids, and with my help had me cover their “wounds” with the bandaids. We tried to entice Lyla a few times to to join in on our play but she watched from afar voicing that she has bandaids at home!  The play revolved around calling the “aliens” on the phone for help.  Our big leather suitcase was a perfect doctor’s bag and Cade made sure he loaded it with extra things including a work glove to protect his hands from the blood!  The other tool that made its way into the imaginary world was our laser gun.  The children took turns shining the red light on their bandaids.  I enjoyed hearing the conversations and how the drama of being “sick” played out.  Who ever thought aliens would be the next health care providers!  I used this imaginary play session to bring friends together as a group and it was nice to see them caring for one another.  It warms my heart to see their true empathetic souls.





No comments:

Post a Comment